Education Workshop Series
Integral to our mission of ending hunger in Blaine County is the need to address the underlying problems associated with hunger. Our educational opportunities open new doors to both clients and community members looking to improve their health and well-being on personal, nutritional and financial levels. Incorporating cooking and nutrition classes, coupon workshops, and growing your own vegetables and herbs, these educational workshops address lifestyle options and issues that can make a real difference for people struggling to make ends meet.
Throughout the year The Hunger Coalition hosts a variety of programs to serve their clients and the general public.
- Cooking Matters® – A cooking-based nutrition education program that connects chefs and nutritionists with families who can benefit from their expertise. This program is made possible by the Idaho Foodbank and supported by St. Luke’s Wood River Foundation. Click here to see our fun and informative Cooking Matters® classes in action.
- Money Management — a financial literacy class designed to help individuals maximize their budget. Workshops address Living in Blaine County, Assessing Your Finances & Budgeting, Debt & Credit, and Savings & Future Financial Planning.
- Garden Workshop Series – Learn tips directly from our Garden Education Manager on topics ranging from irrigation and food dehydration to planting and cultivation techniques.
- Education Workshop Series – Workshops focusing on topics centered around: healthy cooking, nutrition, gardening, food preservation, and more. These workshops are hands-on, for all levels, and led by the staff and volunteers of The Hunger Coalition.
- Resume Writing Appointments – One-on-one appointments allow our clients to walk away with a customized resume.
Integrated Education Initiative
The Integrated Education Initiative (IEI) is a collaborative approach to helping people get over their bumps in the road. Through a partnership between The Hunger Coalition, The Advocates and College of Southern Idaho, a series of job, life, and literacy skills classes are offered that help individuals advance their education, employability and quality of life. Many classes are offered for free!
- Workshops on nutrition, healthy cooking, budgeting, sewing, gardening, etc.
- Skills for Success employability program
- G.E.D. or high-school equivalency degree programs
- English literacy classes
- College degree programs
- Personalized mentoring
- And more!